Product Engineering Manager (Research and Discovery)
Location: Waltham, MA
We’re looking for a manager to lead our Research and Discovery team, which is a part of our Engineering group. This innovation-focused team is responsible for early evaluation of potential technologies and their application to all our solutions, with a focus on our leading healthcare identity and access management platform.
As the manager, you will lead a small group of software engineers who work across a wide technical spectrum. Our technology footprint encompasses traditional client-server, hardware, mobile, cloud and analytics. Because our platform integrates with so many third-party components, a key aspect of this role is the ability to integrate across a rich hardware and software ecosystem—some of it healthcare, and some of it market verticals. You should especially understand how to apply cloud and analytics (a key focus area) and have a knack for helping identify technologies that may be of interest to us.
You will work within a product framework that fits along with various stages of product maturity, from early concept to all the way to hand-off to Engineering. R&D engineers will often work with existing product teams in the early stages of evaluating and implementing potential new capabilities.
This is a very exciting opportunity that combines discovery of technology with very early-stage product development. The ideal candidate will be able to balance a visionary and creative approach with the appropriate engineering practices around evaluating and moving technology forward. You should have an interest in, and the ability to understand our business vision so that the team can enable amazing new product capabilities.
- Identify and drive research into areas of potential technical innovation, working with inputs and direction from product management, business development, clinical experts, executive staff and Engineering.
- Prioritize and direct the backlog of work for the Research and Discovery team. Prepare and present staffing plans and status to senior managers and executives.
- Oversee timelines and plans for the workstream in this team.
- Remain aware of leading-edge technology developments that may be applicable to our space. Attend relevant conferences, vendor meetings, and customer events.
- Alone with the team, remove unknowns prior to product development
- Protect and extend our Intellectual Property by identifying and driving new patent opportunities.
- Secure freedom to operate for new product offerings.
- Recruit and retain top talent.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related discipline. Master’s degree desirable.
- Proven ability in leading a team to identify potential technology solutions, and to lead that analysis from research to proof-of-concept to product development hand-off.
- Demonstrated ability to hire, mentor, and motivate top engineering talent
- The ability to create and sustain effective working relationships across a broad spectrum of internal and external partners
- Healthcare experience preferred, with knowledge of clinical workflows and practices
- Experience in identity, authentication, artificial intelligence and/or security areas is desired
- The ability to create and maintain workplans in varying stages of product maturity and across teams and product areas
- The ability to effectively negotiate with third parties on technical matters including risk, timelines, etc.
- 3+ years of leading engineering teams
- 5-10 years experience designing and building enterprise systems and applications
- Experience with cloud development practices and platforms
- Excellent written and verbal communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively interact with both internal teams and external customers and partners
- Experience with hardware/biometrics and authentication is a plus
- Experience with Microsoft as a partner, Azure a plus