Principal Software Engineer
Location: Waltham, MA
The qualified candidate will work as a senior engineering member of the software development team focused on our new SaaS security product. This team is responsible for the architecture, design, and development of a native multitenant SaaS product based on our existing highly successful identity access platform. In addition to someone with hands-on cloud experience, we are looking for a principal-level engineer who will also be responsible for tech lead activities, including assisting with staffing, planning, and the management of development deliverables on a specific agile team. This is a good opportunity for someone looking to exercise and grow their leadership skills on the side.
The candidate will be someone who enjoys the challenge of tough technical problems and who wants to work on products helping over 1 million users every day in saving time, reducing frustration, and providing better patient care. We need someone with a passion for building world-class applications and a desire to make an impact on our organization and on solving real-world problems.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for technical oversight and delivery of software for our microservices-based SaaS solution.
- Provide leadership to engineering team members
- Lead and perform component and application design
- Design and develop cloud-native services on the AWS platform.
- Conduct and oversee code submission, delivery, and reviews.
- Coach and mentor developers in coding practices and general engineering principles.
- Assist with the planning, staffing, and project deliverables aspect of the solution.
- Help inform and guide development best practices within the engineering team.
- Create high-quality code testable through automation and CI/CD pipeline.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s in Computer Science or related degree.
- 7-10+ years of overall development experience, with at least 2-3 years building distributed highly scalable hosted/SaaS solutions
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to interact well with both internal teams, external customers, and partners as needed
- Working experience with microservices on a major cloud platform (e.g. AWS, Google, or equivalent)
- Basic understanding of cloud-native technologies, including containers, container orchestration systems, and service meshes
- Experience building software that is robust, reliable, and capable of providing high performance under scale and load
- Working knowledge of Java open-source frameworks
- Familiarity with RESTful Web APIs, JSON, web services, and the Linux environment
- Experience with cloud-based databases and data persistence (e.g. RDS, MySQL, Aurora, PostgreSQL)
- Experience working in an agile scrum environment.
- Understanding of the continuous integration practice
- Familiarity with gRPC framework and OpenAPI specification
- Programming in a functional paradigm language, such as Scala
- Familiarity with asynchronous programming and non-blocking constructs
- Understanding of security concepts, especially multi-factor authentication
- Transition from an on-premises or client/server to cloud platform